Tuesday, September 28, 2010

New to the Area

I'm a bit late to this blogging game, I was banded in July of 2009 and words cannot express how much reading other bander's blogs have helped me on this journey so far.  I had toyed with creating my own and my husband kept pushing and pushing.  I have had the thing set up for a while, but was having a hard time coming up with a name and what not.  I still haven't gotten the hang of decorating the background and what not, so any help in that area would be great. 

So, a little history about me.  I grew up here, in the Tri-Cities.  I had a good childhood, my parents divorced when I was young, but luckily for me they remained friends and I haven't ever really experienced the nastiness that divorce can bring.  I absolutely attribute that to my parent's.  They are great.  My mom remarried as did my dad (2 more times).  I have twin older brothers and one younger sister, all from my dad.  I am extremely close to both sets of parents, each in different ways. 

For as long as I can remember, I have been a bigger girl.  I mean, I see pictures of me as a kid and I don't really think I was fat, but definately chubby and I can remember always comparing myself to other girls my age.  I was active, I played soccer, basketball and was on the swim team, but I never hit a point where I grew and thinned out.  I grew, but in all directions.  By high school, I was definately at a point where I was just continuously gaining.  I continued to stay active, but I don't think being really serious about losing weight was all that important to me.  I wasn't some kind of outcast, I had a lot of friends and was very active in things at school.  Never had a boyfriend, but academics and my friends were always more important to me anyways.  I knew different parts of high school may have been different if I were thinner, but I think I definately hid behind my weight, it was just easier that way.

That hiding definately followed me to college.  I moved a few hours away to go to college.  It was my first time away from my family and it was quite an experience.  I had been on so many different diets and food plans in high school and my younger years that once I was on my own, I realized I was in control of those choices instead of my food choices being made for me.  I went a little crazy and ate just about anything I wanted and as much of it as I wanted.  After a few years living on campus, I moved into Spokane, and lived a few different places, moved quite a bit actually.  I continued to balloon and finally decided to try Weight Watchers for the umpteenth time.  I did so great.  I lost like 30 or 40 pounds and was feeling wonderful, the best I had in years.  I finally got a job doing what I went to school for, but it required me moving home, which was fine, but I quickly forgot about me and I took myself off the list.  I gained that 30-40 pounds back and then some.  I was partying alot and making not so good choices.  I met someone, thought I had fallen in love and quickly moved in with him.  It was not what I expected it to be and he left, abruptly and in the worst way imaginable.  Shortly after, I met Ash, my new husband. We dated for 2 1/2 years before I decided to have the band.  I was finally at a point that I wanted to do something about my weight and I wanted to do it for myself, not someone else.  I was working out like crazy with my best friend and trainer, she will from here on be referred to as Megsterini!!  I was on meal plans and doing everything I had been taught for all those years that were supposed to help you lose weight, except I wasn't.

My mom and I were chatting on the phone one afternoon as I was wandering through Wal-Mart.  She was treading lightly around wanting to talk to me about my weight and my struggles as it has often been a sense of contension for us.  She finally just came right out and said that a family friend had had the lapband and thought that it might be a good choice for me.  I laughed and said to her, funny, I had been considering looking in to the band myself.  It was like we were finally on the same page about something.  I attended the informational meeting, with my parents and Ash.  Unfortunately, my insurance wasn't going to pay, but once I decided that I wanted to have the procedure, all of a sudden the money found it's way into my bank account and I was on my way.  Because I was self-pay, my process went quickly and before I knew it, I was recovering from surgery.  I have now been banded for 14 months and have lost 130 pounds.  My initial goal is 150 lbs, but I am sure that once I hit that, I am going to want to continue losing, but at the time of surgery, 150 pounds seemed totally doable.  Now that I am 20 pounds or so away, I completely think that more losing is in my future. 

On a non-weight loss note, Ash proposed to me in December of 2008 and we were married on June 27, 2010.  It was the most perfect day I have experienced so far in my life.  Even though I was not at "goal" weight at the time of the wedding, I felt so incredibly beautiful.  Being banded has been harder than any other weight loss plans I have been on, so anyone who mentions or asks about it being an easy way out, I quickly give them a run-down of my experience, hoping to dissuade those thoughts.  I have good days, bad days, great days and horrible days, but nothing compares to the new freedom I have found.  I finally put myself back on the list and it's a great place to be. 

Here's to many more posting and making of new friends.....banded and unbanded....

I will attempt to post some pics, just have to figure out how to do that....

until next time..

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment